On a global level, sepsis is a leading cause of mortality and morbidity, both inside the hospital and outside. Managing Sepsis is a highly challenging task for medical staff. Perhaps the most difficult aspect is the timing of the diagnosis, as well as the timing of Sepsis management. Nowadays there are complete sepsis surveillance management solutions available which help improving the EHR workflow and reduce drastically false positive alerts. Diagnosis identification solutions take into account several factors such as:
- Physician & nurse documentation
- Vital signs, medication & patient diagnostic
- When put together such data can indicate Sepsis, Early Sepsis, Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock
Such complete management solutions also help minimizing the Crying Wolf Syndrome- too many false alarms can actually lead to the erosion of general trust in an entire medical system. This is why the implementation of such sepsis surveillance solutions is highly important.
Sepsis Surveillance helps:
- Reducing false positive alerts in hospital settings
- Improve patient safety- when detected early, sepsis signs can be reversed through proper treatment and thus saving the patient’s life
- Decrease the length of hospital stay with accurate monitoring
- Reduce mortality & morbidity
- Put an end to the crying wolf syndrome
Diagnosing sepsis is an extremely difficult task, and this happens because there are various pathogens that act on different organs thus causing sepsis. Sepsis as a medical term also changes its definition quite frequently, and nowadays organ dysfunction is also viewed as a key factor that characterizes Sepsis. As long as patients are identified in the early stages of Sepsis, death can be avoided. Sepsis surveillance automation can indeed make a huge difference, by helping the medical staff in hospital and emergency departments identify early the problem and apply proper treatment.
Early detection of Sepsis is possible, without the disruption of workflow. Sepsis surveillance programs help doctors combat alert fatigue and general confusion when it comes to diagnosing or identifying Sepsis in a patient. Find out more about the Hiteks Sepsis surveillance system today and schedule a demo to see how it works.