People with certain chronic health conditions are at higher risk of developing kidney disease. These conditions include diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, or a family history of kidney failure. See a urologist New York for regular checkups, especially if you are struggling with these conditions. So, is there anything you can do to maintain your kidneys in good health? Yes.
Firstly, you can protect the health of your kidneys by preventing and/or managing the different health conditions that lead to kidney disease. Manage your high blood pressure to protect your kidneys. Or, manage your diabetes well to keep your kidneys in good functioning order. On your next medical checkup with your urologist New York, make sure to ask the doctor about the health of your kidneys.
Other tips that you can implement to maintain the excellent health of your kidneys:
- Always make healthy food decisions- select healthy foods for your heart and body. Opt for fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products. Pay attention to reducing your sugar and salt intake. Try to use more spices instead of salt, use the baking method instead of frying the meats, and select foods with no added sugar. Also, opt for foods containing whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat, oats, corn, etc.), and read the labels.
- Introduce physical activity in your daily routine- you should perform at least 30 minutes of physical exercise, whether jogging, walking, or riding your bike.
- Overweight /obese patients should aim to lose weight to protect their overall health, not only the health of the kidneys. Talk to your healthcare provider about the most appropriate method to lose weight.
- Limit alcohol intake and stop smoking. Both habits are destructive for your health, so if you want to maintain your kidneys’ health and health, quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake.
- Manage diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease. By managing these health conditions, you will implicitly protect your kidneys.